Saturday, March 31, 2012

From My Inbox

I recently received an email with the subject line "musical writers who are fans of economics."  It continues as follows:

Hi Dr. Mankiw,
Thanks for giving a shout to musical theater in your recent post about Smash! My writing partner Leah (an econ major) introduced me to your blog several years ago and I've been a regular reader and huge fan ever since. We develop musicals and license the performance rights to college, high school, and community theatres. We're currently working on an adaptation of It's a Wonderful Life set in the recent recession, and it features some economics-inspired songs that you might get a kick out of. Here are a few you might enjoy:
Potter (a female in our version) and Sam Wainwright reflect on the economy. Inspired by a Rogoff article you linked to: Game We Play
Asleep at his desk, George has a Schumpeterian dream: Steve Jobs
Violet reflects on opportunity costs: Live for Today
Anyway, I want to thank you for contributing so much to my education through your blog and for helping to inspire an interest in economics. Maybe someday I'll write a musical explicitly about economics. "The Dismal Science" would make a great title, don't you think? :)
Cheers!
Kevin

GoMusicals.com